Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Van Eyck, Vermeer: the Berlin Gemäldegalerie is the home of the Old Masters. The documentary "Old Masters, New Light - The Berlin Picture Gallery" (arte/rbb, 52 min.) now provides exclusive insights behind the scenes of one of the most important museums in the world and sheds light on the paintings, which have one thing in common: their masterful representation of light. But the collection is in danger: the excessive light entering through the glass ceiling is causing lasting damage to the works of art. The film documents the transformation from a daylight museum into an art light museum.
Old Masters, New Light
From 19 November 2023 in the ARD media library and at 4:30 pm on ARTE Germany and at 5:30 pm on ARTE France.
- Written & directed by: Nathan Eddy, Paul Wiederhold
- Camera: Kevin Klein, Christopher Dürkop
- Editing: Leonardo Franke
- Sound: Adam Asnan, Lorenz Fischer, Jerome Huber, Ronja Kranz
- Mixing: Andreas Fuhrmann
- Narrator: Sebastian Fuchs, Anna Gesa-Raija Lappe
- Music: Dickey Doo
- Production Management: Paul Thimm (rbb), Carsten Bartelt (argon film)
- Producer: Johanna Behre
- Producer: Isis Struiksma
- Editorial assistant rbb: Philipp Koch
- Editorial office rbb: Carolin Mayer